Sunday 31 May 2015

31st May

I received the news today that Eric Phillips has died. He and John Fortey where stalwarts of the birding scene when I started birding back in the early 80’s and were always keen to help young birders. I remember them pointing out a Glaucous Gull to Pete Hackett and myself at Blithfield back in 1981.

I saw him for the last time at the Sandwell Valley Great Reed Warbler just over a week ago and he looked in remarkably good shape for his age. Early last year I saw him when he was twitching a Two-barred Crossbill through the Wyre Forest and he was using a walking frame as he had recently come off his motorbike – he will be sadly missed.

Bird wise it has been quiet LRP seem to be in the habit of dropping in late on at the Reservoir and I have seen them a couple of times. I have mainly been gardening and have had Cuckoo, Hobby and Common Tern fly over.


No comments: