Friday 10 April 2020

10th March – Udawalawe NP

We were picked up early – yet again. What followed was a really good mornings birding with a lot of birds seen, before long we had to return to the hotel to pack for the next stage of the journey.

Of more importance to me was that I had my first new specie of the trip with not one but six Marshall's Iora.

Asian Elephant 
Marshall's Iora

Chesthut-headed Bee-eater
After our return we went in search of White-naped Woodpecker a species that I had missed on my previous visit. We parked up in someones garden and sat down to wait at the roost site. I set up the scope and waited, it soon became apparent that there was a beak sticking out of the hole! There was also a Jungle Barred Owlet in the garden which we took in turns to look at. It was whilst Joy was off enjoying this bird that the Woodpecker put in an appearance, then it promptly disappeared. It was at least 20 minutes, just before we had to leave both birds reappeared. That left us time to get back in time to watch 1000s of fruit bats leaving the roost near the hotel. It was soon the end of a great day with more importantly the Woodpecker providing me with my second and last tick of the holiday.

White-naped Woodpecker

Barred Jungle Owlet

White-naped Woodpecker

Chinese Fast Food – achoo

No comments: