Thursday 23 December 2010

Thursday 23rd December

Having broke up for Xmas at lunchtime I returned home via Kingbury to see the 8 Bewick Swans that have been there for a couple of days. Whilst there a flock of c.100 Skylark dropped in to feed.

That fired me up and I headed for Shustoke for the afternoon. It was certainly a little warmer than of late but the reservoir is completely ice covered bar a small area by the sailing club. That held a couple of Goosander, 20 Shoveler, 5 Pochard, 6 Tufted, 6 Gt Crested Grebe and a good scattering of larger gulls.

Passerines were scarce but I had a flock of 60 of so Skylark in the fields down from the Gryphon and another ten in the fields by the paddocks, this was a first for me this year at the reservoir.

There was a Nuthatch near the fishing club but little else.

No comments: