Monday 31 October 2011

The weekend the clocks went back!

Paid a couple of trips over this weekend, it was quiet, typical for late October, all the summer visitors have departed and the winter bird have yet to put in an appearance. I didn’t bother with the main reservoir with sailing and lots of walkers around it was going to be poor, so I crossed the river and walked alongside the railway to the small pool. I had this bright idea that it would be a good area for Firecrest a bird never recorded at Shustoke, needless to say it still hasn’t.

Saturday there were small groups of Redwing and Fieldfare around but most were moving in one direction SOUTH. With sailing going on wildfowl were mostly congregated at the east end and on the small pool. There were around 20 Pochard and I counted 130+ Tufted Duck on the small pool. I did spy the Raven but it wasn’t flying in formation with a Red Kite for me!

Sunday, the Captain and I followed the same route seeing Treecreeper, a few Goldcrest and not a lot else. There was a Kingfisher on the new pontoons for the fishermen on the small pool. The field off Bixhill Lane were barren not a dicky bird, I so wish that the farmer that resides in Moat House Lane farmed this land, his set aside fields last winter were brilliant, with Linnet, Tree Sparrow, Finches and Yellowhammer galore. 

Hopefully I will get a bit more time over the next few weeks and pay a few trips.

No comments: