Saturday 7 April 2012

Saturday 7th April

Again it was an other dark cloudy day with occasional light drizzle. I walked over and thought things might be interesting as there was a Blackcap singing near the entrance. I scanned the Reservoir from the car park and I was rather surprised that there were no hirundines to be seen. I walked round taking my time but there was little of note apart from a Sparrowhawk. I resorted to counting the Gt Crested Grebe and there were 68 in total. Towards the east end I picked up my first Common Sandpiper of the year, then a small party of six Sand Martin went straight through.


Kingfisher buzzed over my head as I crossed the metal bridge and amongst the 96 Tufted Duck on the small pool was the male Scaup. Contrary to my previous statement it did look larger, it was asleep and appeared broader in the body that the Tufted. There were another couple of singing Blackcap but little else and no Willow Warbler. I also added another to my list of bird watchers asking my where “Warbler Corner” was.


A singing Skylark was welcome. I briefly checked out Moat House Lane where there was another singing Skylark, Yellowhammer and a few Greenfinch.



No comments: