Tuesday 25 December 2012

CHRISTMAS DAY

Yesterday (Xmas Eve) there were over 100 Pochard and Tufted Duck present and 27 Goosander as well as the long-staying pair of Gt Northern Diver.

Today we walked the dog around Hams Hall with a view to searching for Waxwing, we drew a blank but saw several Chiffchaff and a Green Sandpiper near to the Outflow. There were good numbers of passerines in the roadside trees but nothing out of the ordinary.

I checked out the fields near Hollyland which a couple of years ago held good numbers of finches and bunting and the odd Tree Sparrow. Today there were around 100 Chaffinch and around 15 Yellowhammer but nothing else. The Tree Sparrow population in this area appears to have crashed. I haven’t had one in my garden for over a year. In 2005 I had five pairs nesting in the garden and 48 young were ringed and regularly used to see upto 40 on my feeders – but not now!


Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: