Sunday 14 September 2014

Friday 12 September

Having got back from Tenerife (more to follow) I took a walk around the Reservoir on Friday evening. After a break of a couple of weeks there seemed to be more birds around. I counted nearly 40 Little Grebe and upto a 100 Lapwing on the South shore.

As I was making my way down the north shore something caught my eye landing on the shoreline behind me, I nearly dismissed it but decided that it was worth checking out, I made my way back and lo and behold there were two Ruff. This is practically the only wader species worth talking about this year, a year that has been particularly poor for waders. I left the birds and carried on only for them to fly  past me and land in the south-east corner. There were also a couple of Shoveler and the first Pochard of the autumn.

On Saturday I didn’t get around until late but there were three Ruff which were all showing really well.


Ruff, Dave Hutton

No comments: