Thursday 3 March 2016

Thursday 3rd March – Middleton Lakes RSPB

Busy in the house at the moment with one thing and another, so for the first time this week I managed to devote myself to a mornings birding.

I dropped Joy off at work and proceeded to Middleton Lakes RSPB. On arrival there was a Water Rail under the feeders and that was joined by a single Lesser Redpoll and three Grey Squirrels which where hogging the feeders as they do!

I made my way towards the main reserve, and as I passed what I call the “Silt Pool’” me and the Great White Egret made eye contact, unfortunately I was taken by surprise and the bird took off and headed off in the direction of the main reserve, needless to say I never saw it again. I met another birder who had arrived at 7am and he said it was on the same pool. So maybe thats where it starts the day.

On the main reserve there were all the usual suspects with a very nervy Golden Plover flock that did not what to settle. There were two Ringed Plover but an intermittent drizzle started and it was cold, so I went to the hide, there was little to be seen there so I made my way to the field by the canal where the Pink-footed Goose had been reported. I scanned the field but failed to locate the bird. With the weather not looking like it was going to improve I started to make my way back as a small group of around 30 geese flew in, one was obviously smaller and I thought Pink-foot, I picked my bins up and was a little surprised to see a Egyptian Goose! Oh well at least I got a year tick out of it.

No comments: