Tuesday 25 October 2016

Tuesday 25th October

What a few months I have had! I will fill in the details for Shetland and Norfolk ASAP. Those that know me are aware of my lack of posts, it has been a rather hectic year so far which culminated in me turning 60 last week! I still can’t believe it!

Anyway, birding first, today was the first opportunity I have had for a while to spend some time over at Shustoke. I had seen the Red-breasted Merganser following a phone call from Steve Haynes last week. This morning I saw them again, although they can be a little elusive. Also present were 41 Pochard, 32 Shoveler, 1 Wigeon, 1 Goldeneye and a Scaup (not seen this afternoon).

It was a little quiet for passerines but I did unexpectedly find a Common Sandpiper. There were also two Kingfishers perched along the edge.

Last week at a local high point there was a bit of migration going on with lots of thrushes, pipits, buntings and a single House Martin. The next day I went and saw a Ring Ouzel, the fourth at this site of the autumn.

I will endeavour to keep the blog up to date but I’m off on a visit to Scotland next week, can’t wait.

No comments: