Wednesday 23 October 2019

Shustoke Monday 21st October

Having not visited for a while I spent the morning at the Reservoir. I had just left the car park when a Rottweiler galloped past me. The owner quiet happily related a story of his dog being attacked by two Swans as it swan in the Reservoir! I pointed out that it would have happened if his dog hadn’t been in the water. He seemed to take exception to this statement, at that moment I noticed a Med Gull quite close in and my focus shifted. He carried on, then stopped turned round and asked me if I was all right!

Med Gull, Shustoke Reservoir
I returned to the car to get my scope then couldn’t find the bird for about an hour, they seemed to be disappearing to go and feed, they must be ploughing the field locally. At that point a steady drizzle started falling so I was just about to head off when I relocated the bird.

This was my 111 species of the year for Shustoke Reservoir, I have got a good chance of a few more. I am hoping for 120 but I think that might be a bit of a tall order unless Ladywalk evict a few Willow and Marsh Tit for starters, come to think of it a Cetti’s would be nice!

On Tuesday I made another visit with the best bird being a Dunlin, although there was a steady passage of Redwing and Skylark overhead.

Wednesday was a waste of time with the fog not lifting the whole time I was there.


No comments: