Saturday 11 May 2013

Saturday 11 May

Not a bad day today, I caught up with a few commoner species at the Res. On arrival there had obviously been an influx of hirundines and Swift. Although I didn’t count them there must have been over 1,000 Swift. Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins combined neared 600 birds. Ever available perch was in use as a lot of the birds seemed very tired. I saw several Whitethroat, Blackcap, a couple of still singing Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. In the potato field on the other side of the railway crossing there was a probable Greenland Wheatear, I didn’t have my scope with me but it looked large and bright and the late date suggest that it probable was. The highlight for me was a Garden Warbler singing in the hedgerow behind the Sailing Club. It took me 10 minutes but I eventually did see it.

There was a single Common Tern and a single Gadwall but that was about it.

No comments: