Thursday 19 March 2015

Thursday 19th March

At a loose end for a couple of hours the Captain and I decided to pay a albeit brief visit to Ladywalk. It proved to be an inspired choice of venue. From the main hide the Curlew was still present with good numbers of Goosander and a Water Rail.

We made our way towards Hide B where we saw a Willow Tit as we were watching that a Woodcock flew overhead! We then searched the area where I had seen a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker earlier in the week. Before long the bird started drumming and I picked it up as it drummed on a small stump. The guy we were with (apologies for not introducing myself) put his scope on it and offered us a sighter. The he started to film the bird, cheekily I asked if I could drop my phone on it for a record shot of sorts. He agreed (see results).

All in all a very good hours birding.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (male)


I cannot remember ever seeing three different Lesser Spots on consecutive days!


No comments: