Friday 14 August 2015

What! No Black Terns

I’m not a betting man, but with Black Terns seemingly all over the Midlands I thought with the rain falling it would be a banker that there would be at least one at Shustoke Reservoir. After all it is one of the best sites for the species in the Midlands, plus I haven’t seen one this year.

Anyway early afternoon arrived and the rain eased so I headed off, Bobby D was in the car park but he had seen none. There were three Common Tern and a couple of Common Sandpiper so I decided to leave Bob and walk around but apart from a Wheatear there was little although there must have been 300+ hirundines – mainly House Martin. These must have been what attracted the Hobby that I saw.

It was still wet and apart from the odd Chiffchaff and Blackcap I headed home sans Black Tern.


No comments: