Thursday 7 April 2016

Wednesday 6th April

After whimping out yesterday morning I decided to try again in the early evening after a heavy shower, even though the weather still looked poor.

The water levels are as high as I have ever seen them at the Reservoir, which, given the amount of disturbance pretty well guarantees that there will not be a lot of wader passage. I started to make my way around and immediately came across a Little Ringed Plover, most unexpected. It immediately flew only to alight 100 yards of so further along the shore, imagine my surprise when I came across a Ringed Plover alongside the LRP! Two waders at Shustoke is a red letter day and no mistake.

Both birds where flighty and there was a lot of activity with runners and dog walkers and it was no surprise that Steve Haynes only saw the LRP when he arrived less than 30 minutes later.

Otherwise it was cold and windy although there were good numbers of hirundines with c.80 Sand Martin, c.20 Swallow and my first couple of House Martin for the year.

No comments: