Tuesday 17 May 2016

Spreading my Horizons

I have been over the Reservoir but apart from Hobby and the occasional Common Sandpiper it has, as expected been rather quiet.

Last week I payed a visit to Draycote Water where there were not one but two White-winged Black Terns, as well as c.20 Black Tern, Arctic Tern, Common Tern. It was a miserable day and as I was scanning through the birds in drizzle and general clag I picked up a distant Little Tern, the bird was pretty obvious being so small and its flight action is what is best described as rapid. None of the other birders on-site where aware the bird was present, until I pointed it out. Most including me had arrived looking for WWBT and with the weather the way it was I for one wasn’t walking around this time. There were also a couple of Turnstone hiding amongst the rocks.

Cannock Chase was visited on Saturday morning and it was rather quiet – apart from Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler it was a little disappointing.

I have visited Middleton Lakes RSPB a few times seeing Garganey, Greenshank, Med Gull, Ruff and a good variety of other species.

With rain forecast for tomorrow I can see myself visiting Shustoke, it does tend to be better when the weather is poor.


No comments: