Tuesday 3 May 2016

Tuesday 3rd May

The last week or so has seen me at Shustoke but there has been very little to report although others have seen Little Egret and a scattering of passage birds.

Today, for a change I visited Middleton Lakes RSPB on arrival news had broke of another Pied Flycatcher for Warwickshire (I saw my first on Saturday at Ladywalk). I was soon on the bird and as I had taken my scope I managed a couple of photographs. I noted on looking at the pics that the bird was ringed. It was a little grotty for a male Pied Flycatcher so assume that it is a 1st summer male.

I met Dave Hutton and Donna Mallon and we caught up with two fine Whinchat on the reserve. I also saw three Dunlin in total a good number of warblers and wildfowl. The best was to come with a Hobby that performed for ten minutes or so. I also had a calling Water Rail – that would suggest to me that there might be a breeding attempt.

Pied Flycatcher, Middleton Lakes RSPB

Pied Flycatcher, Middleton Lakes RSPB

Whinchat, Middleton Lakes RSPB

No comments: