Friday 10 March 2017

10 March

It has been a very disappointing winter generally in the Midlands, but Shustoke itself has been the quietest I can remember in all my years birding here. I have been over quite a few times but there has been very little to write about.

Passerines have been practically non-existent, with no flocks of Redpoll or Siskin apart from around a dozen of the later around the turn of the year. Wildfowl numbers have fared little better, although there was a good flock of 150 Pochard during February. The Wigeon flock peaked at five and they were still present on the small pool yesterday. The roosting Goosanders have struggled to reach double figures this year as well!

I have seen just one Jack Snipe and up to six Common Snipe, but the main wetland area has been partly reclaimed and I have had no Snipe there at all.

In my garden I have had few birds this winter with a single male Blackcap for half an hour the highlight. I have also had up to three House Sparrow in the last month, in 15 years I have only recorded the species twice.

As most of you will now I will be moving out of the area soon, but I will not be too far away and intent to continue birding the Reservoir and hopefully, after being rather pre-occupied selling my property I should be able to keep the blog a little bit more up to date.

Waxwing, Castle Vale

No comments: