Saturday 11 August 2018

Saturday 11 August

This morning for a change I visited Sutton Park. I arrived before 9.00am but the gates were locked, a few people seemed rather perplexed by this and for some reason thought I had all the answers! Anyway I made my way to the main birding area an area of heath with scattered bushes, mainly Crab Apple. As I crossed the model plane flying area, it was obvious that there were quite a few hirundines around with I would estimate by the end of the morning c.150 Swallow, c60 House Martin & c.12 Sand Martin also, there were up to a dozen Swift.

As I reached the first area of bushes I had an obliging Lesser Whitethroat then a juvenile Wheatear. There were birds flitting from bush to bush but I recon I probable only got on about half the birds that I saw in flight. Down in the Valley (Lower Crabs?) I had a single Spotted Flycatcher, unto 6 Blackcap, 2 Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat but strangely not the expected Redstart!

This is another area where the silence is punctuated by people shouting after their unruly Mutts, one dog which was out of control was trying to engage the cattle that roam here into a game of chase, whilst it owner bellowed at the top of her voice. Surely it would be quieter and safer if the dogs were kept on a lead – especially if they can’t be controlled. Not long after I was scanning an area of bushes when a Greyhound tried to mount my leg – needless to say I was too quick for it! The owners thought it was rather funny!

I made my way back to the car toward the end of the morning as things had started to slow down. The pool in front of the entrance held a single Common Tern.


No comments: