Thursday 9 August 2018

Thursday 9th August

Got to the Reservoir early this morning but was soon disillusioned with the number and behaviour of the dog walkers with none on leads and some encouraging their dogs into the water by throwing balls for them to swim after! This behaviour is a major contributor to the lack of birds at the Reservoir in recent years.

One arrival, the dull weather helped, with good numbers of hirundines for the first time this year, although there were only c.150 this was made up of 50% Sand Martin, 35% Swallow and 14% House Martin. Also unto a dozen Swift dropped in. As I made my way round I picked up a distant Grebe which I was certain was a Black-necked Grebe, although I wanted a better look before I put the news out. After straining my eyes for a while it flew from the east end up towards the Sailing Club. I followed it back there and got marginally better views, both in flight and it was probably 100 yards closer. I put out the news and continued on my way.

Black-necked Grebe, Shustoke Reservoir

Black-necked Grebe, Shustoke Reservoir
Black-necked Grebe, Shustoke Reservoir
Black-necked Grebe, Shustoke Reservoir
I saw little else although there were c.150 Tufted Duck with two broods one 3/4 grown and another with much younger chicks. When I got back to the car, Nick Barlow was scanning with his scope and we located the Grebe again, this time in the middle of the Reservoir.

This afternoon saw me visiting Ladywalk for the second time in a week. Last week Joy and I saw Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Water Rail, Green Sandpiper, Marsh Tit and Little Egret during our visit.

With news that there was a Wood Sandpiper at Ladywalk I spent the afternoon in the company of Pete Sofley as we tried in vain to locate the bird. As the batteries in my hearing aids expired on the way I had trouble hearing him, never mind any birds. We did see 3 Green Sandpiper, 1 LRP and Redshank. They have also started work on a new scape which will continue the impressive work that Pete and his team have carried out over the years.

I picked Joy up from work and returned to Shustoke were despite having my scope I could not relocate the Black-necked Grebe. The sailing club was open and they may have had boats out this afternoon.

No comments: