Saturday 19 March 2011

Saturday 19th March

After a day in Wales on business yesterday and birding on the way home I made a point of getting over the Reservoir today. I was up reasonably early but the car park was still full when I arrived. It turned out to be not a bad day adding four species to yearly total.

Firstly I had two pairs of Gadwall and Captain Daylate’s Goldeneye was still present. The eastern woods held two Chiffchaff but no Lesser Spotted Woodpecker as last weekend. There was also a singing male Reed Bunting present at Warbler Corner in the patch of reeds that surround a hidden pond. Apart from that it was generally quite. Hopefully with a front moving through there might be a few hirundines around tomorrow.

For those interested my day in Wales produced Glaucous Gull, Chough, Black Grouse and a stunning Dartford Warbler (see below). Not surprisingly (as the good Captainn was with me) we dipped on Bonies  and Iceland Gull.  But the Dartford Warbler gave stunning views.

Dartford Warbler, World’s End, Denbighshire

Dartford Warbler, World’s End, Denbighshire

No comments: