Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Year

I have been over Shustoke a few times over the past week but unfortunately it has been rather quiet. There are still a few Redpoll around and winter Thrushes are in good numbers.

The wildfowl numbers, as previously reported have been very poor this winter, and over the course of the last week I have only seen 1 Gadwall, 1 Teal and up to four Wigeon but on New Years Eve there was only one.

The only significant report is that we seem to be going through a purple patch with Raven and I have seen up to four birds over the holiday period and have recorded them on every single day.

On a whole last year was a little disappointing even though there was a record number of species recorded. I will need to check but I think 132 species were seen. We don’t seem to have missed many of the commoner species but there were few highlights especially on the wader front.

I remains for me to wish everyone a Happy New Year and hopefully a bird filled one.

No comments: