Sunday 14 October 2012

A weekend in Cornwall

I will start this with the statement “I don’t twitch much”. That said I have become aware that this was the first year since I started birding (which was when the world was Black & White) that I haven’t had a new species for the UK. I could have had a couple of ticks this year but I it was either too inconvenient / or I couldn’t be bothered with the driving / or just too expensive, but mostly a mixture of all of them.

Anyway, on Tuesday a Paddyfield Warbler turned up in Cornwall and it was still there on Friday so I or should I say we (the Wife) decided that a weekend in Cornwall would be nice. So Saturday morning at 5am we were up and away. We arrived at 10.30ish at Church Cove with no news either way on the bird but having seen the weather forecast I was hopeful that the bird would still be there.

I was right, and after an initial 15 minute period of no activity the bird performed really well for the 20 or so birders present. After having our fill we went for a wander having heard that there was Red-backed Shrike in the area. Someone gave me directions but we got lost and decided to make our way back to Church Cove, by accident we ended up dropping onto the bird. The rest of the day was spend birding the Cot Valley and Pendeen but we saw nothing unusual.

On Sunday we spend the morning at Nanquidno Valley and had a great morning without seeing anything unusual. But there was a Peregrine, Chough, Blackcap and a few Chiffchaff. We decided early afternoon to start making our way home after an enjoyable trip.

Paddyfield Warbler, Church Cove, Cornwall

Paddyfield Warbler, Church Cove, Cornwall

Red-backed Shrike, The Lizard, Cornwall

Red-backed Shrike, The Lizard, Cornwall

No comments: