Thursday 9 April 2015

Thursday 9th April

It has been really quiet of late, that coupled with the fact that I have been rather busy. I have been over the Reservoir a few times but there has been very little. I have seen the occasional Sand Martin but I haven’t seen Swallow there yet. My first was a bird that flew over my Conservatory about a week ago.

I have been to Middleton Lakes a couple of times meeting an old friend for the first time in years. I first met him when myself and a friend met him in the Sandwell Valley (before it was called that) and we found a remote controlled plane in the top of a Silver Birch, that must have been back in about 1970!!! Anyway Steve what happened to that plane?

Bird wise there were a couple of Avocet on Monday. I spent the morning at Middleton again today and the day got off to a good start with five Swallow over the car park and a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker drumming. It was generally quiet on the Reserve but at the North Pit hide a distant Curlew on closer inspection turned out to be a Whimbrel. I never learn I am going to have to start taking my scope with me. On the way back I saw my first Blackcap of the year.

No comments: