Friday 10 April 2020

Friday 6th March

We were up early as is always the case for a pre breakfast birding session. This involved birding in the grounds of the local village. We crossed the river via a rather dodgy bridge that I remember from last time, although I was concentrating on where I was walking Saman pointed out a couple of Asian Openbill sat in a tree downstream – was I bothered!

Andy and Gemma on the bridge


The Bridge

After crossing the river we stopped in a clearing and saw a good variety of birds including the impressive Brown-capped Pygmy Woodpecker, we saw numerous other birds. Eventually we carried on birding as we went. I had taken my scope, but being rather tired, not to mention advance years, I was regretting taking it. Saman asked if we would like to see an Indian Pitta, "Yes Please" I've seen them before, but they are notorious skulkers, so the chance of a good view appealed.

Saman spoke to a local man whose house was rather basic and we were invited in to what passed as a back garden, but was little more than a clearing in the jungle. As we stood there the bird was calling and showed briefly, before getting closer in response to a play back, I could see the bird in deepish cover at about 40 yards distance. Saman offered to fetch my scope which I had left at the front of the house. He was so helpful, that, although I thought there would be no chance of any photographs I felt I would disappoint him if I said no.

He dually arrived with my scope which I set up and took a couple of shots which picked up part of the bird but not a lot else. Then Saman played the call again and lo and behold the bird flew in no more than 10 yards away and sat there looking at us. It really was amazing views, plus it stayed there and allowed me to photograph it. My scope had my camera and four different phones on it during the next ten minutes!




India Pitta


Saman later approached me to get my thoughts on tipping and whether we wanted to tip the hotel staff and others. I explained that whilst I had no problem tipping I would be happier if I gave him money and asked him how much it would cost to cover everything. We agreed a figure with the proviso that he came back to me if it ran out. He explained that he liked to spread the money out, giving everyone a stake and a financial interest in the bird. I hadn't realised that he had tipped the guy who's garden we had been watching the Pitta. I suppose if he gets a bung for every group he's happy and has an interest in the bird.

Tickell’s Flycatcher

After breakfast we caught a ferry across the river to visit the Kitagula Forest Reserve. What followed was a pleasant hours birding although we failed to see the target species Serendib Scops Owl, Saman went off in search but returned half an hour later having failed to locate one. He explained that other guides under pressure from "'togs" had gardened around the sites removing vegetation to get better photographs and the birds where now much harder to locate. We saw several good species including Malabar Trogan.

Malabar Trogan
We returned to the Hotel for lunch and departure, then followed a long drive to what was to be the highlight of the trip The Blue Magpie lodge. It was a long drive and we arrived just after dark. I had explained to Andy and Gemma that the Blue Magpie was a little basic, but since my last visit it has been upgraded and is much better with all rooms now having Air Conditioning. The dining area has been expanded and the food was to the usual standard – good but basic.




No comments: