Friday 10 April 2020

Saturday 7th March


Sinaraja Rainforest

We were up early for breakfast then met the Jeep that was to take us uphill to where we would enjoy a days birding. At the entrance we had to wait for the office to open to obtain tickets, but whilst we waited a couple of Blue Magpie visited the feeders and there was an Indian Blue Robin showing really well.


Sri Lankan Junglefowl

Soon we were making our way uphill to the entrance proper. We stopped half way up where a local had created a screen from which Sri Lanka Junglefowl and hopefully Sri Lanka Scrubfowl fed. We gave it an hour and had good views of Junglefowl and Emerald Dove but we had to leave.
Gemma notice that the back of Joys shirt had blood coming through, on pulling up her shirt a bloated leech dropped out. There was a little mild panic, but I could not see where the leech had bitten her as there was no obvious wound. More worrying we couldn't find the leech! Five minutes later Andy noticed Joy had blood coming through the front of her shirt! Joy by this time was a little distressed and Gemma was one or two notches higher than that. Saman stopped the vehicle at a restaurant of sorts and managed to get access to a room where Gemma took over and took Joy inside for a closer examination. Fortunately they were both Leech free, it transpired that the Leech had its fill around the front and in trying to get away had gotten trapped between joy and the back rest, this forced some blood out which accounted for the blood on her back!

Sri Lankan Frogmouth


However we enjoyed a good mornings birding along the track, with great views of Sri Lankan Frogmouth, but it was hot and certain members of the group who shall remain nameless were more concerned with Leeches than birds! We saw several endemics but struggled with Sri Lankan Scaly Thrush. We clambered through thick vegetation in search of them and I had to leave my scope, so I hung my hat on the scope as it was getting in the way. Over the next hour we managed to miss the birds, although at one point they flew past us, we heard them and got the briefest of views.  I could tell the others were tired, so we retired to the rest area, I picked up my scope and went to replace my hat I noticed a leech inside it!

Water Monitor

Green Pit Viper

Black-naped Monarch


The rest of the day was spent birding back along the trail, later than afternoon Saman and I went birding on our own, we had a walk along the road with the best bird a Crested Serpent Eagle just outside of the Blue Magpie.



Crested Serpent Eagle

Sri Lankan Green Pigeon

By this time we had been on the go solid for three days and we were all knackered. I was literally falling asleep eating dinner, so as soon as we got to the room I was away. Within five minutes Joy woke me up to remove a large beetle from the bathroom. I got a glass and deposited the thing outside. I had no sooner dropped off again than Andy appeared knocking on the door of the room. Saman he said had found a Forest Eagle Owl and told me to fetch you. With that we quickly dressed and were soon watching this majestic creature whilst it sat on top of one of the largest trees in the garden. Unfortunately it had its back to us, but still it was a big boy, I fetched my scope and a steady stream of people took a turn at looking at the bird. Saman was in his element so we left him and my scope and went to bed again. Ten minutes later the door was knocked again, quick come its turned around. We got dressed again but by the time we got there it had flown off! I slept like a log.


No comments: