Friday 10 April 2020

Monday 9th March

We started off with a pre breakfast visit to the entrance to Sinharaja Forest Reserve mainly to have another look at Sri Lankan Blue Magpie which had proved rather elusive on our walks, the only ones we had seen were in the same place on our first day at Sinharaja. Despite a coach load of locals who all wanted to sit by the feeders we managed to see a couple plus a Sri Lankan Grey Hornbill. Unfortunately as it was quite early the light was not good enough for photography.

Sri Lankan Grey Hornbill

Sri Lankan Blue Magpie

Sinharaja Entrance

Outside the Blue Magpie Lodge
Soon we were off with a trip to an Elephant relocation centre on the way to our next destination. The others enjoyed the parade of Elephants while Saman and I slipped away, as he had an Indian Scops Owl to show me.

Indian Scops Owl
This time a little more cryptic


We arrived at our hotel which was luxurious, Saman want to take us birding later, but as he only lived a few miles away I told him not to bother and just go home for the evening, he was very reluctant but I insisted, there was a nice pool and we all needed a break. There was an large area of scrub and a lake within walking distance so I told him if I felt the need to go birding I would enjoy identifying birds on my own for an hour. At the time I had no intention of birding, but later in the afternoon Andy said he fancied going for a walk. We walked from the hotel seeing a good variety of waterbirds before heading into the scrubby area for an hour. We did really well seeing a good variety of birds in a short period including Barred Buttonquail which was a real bonus.




No comments: