Monday 9 September 2019

Monday 9th September

I worked on my bird notes this morning as it was raining, but I was itching to get started, so after lunch I made my way to the Reservoir.

From the car park there were a lot of hirundines, mainly composing of House Martin, with smaller numbers of Swallow with about 20 Sand Martin. I started my walk but was disappointed that there were so many dogs off leads with their owners shouting and screaming at their Mutts that were not well trained. I wouldn’t mind but most don’t bother to pay for parking which makes my wonder why I have purchased a permit!

Anyway, surprisingly I had four Common Sandpiper fly in and land briefly (flushed by dogs), then further along I picked up a Ringed Plover my first of the year (109). A Hobby was perched in a tree just the other side of the river and showed really well. At the far end a couple of Wigeon were the first of the Autumn. I made my way along the path beside the railway line and was annoyed to see three Pheasant, try as I might I could not find any on Saturday.

Light rain started to fall so I changed my plans and made my way back to the main Reservoir rather than my initial though of trudging down the back lanes. The fields off Bixhill Lane held an impressive c.120 Linnet, then I heard a Greenshank calling, my second this Autumn, it took ten minutes before I actually saw the bird as it circled round for a little while before heading off in the direction of Ladywalk.

Back at the car park I could only locate Common Sandpiper along the edge, but at least there were a couple of Shoveler resting below the car park to end the trip.

All-in-all a good day with four species that I failed to see on Saturday.

No comments: