Tuesday 3 September 2019

Sunday 1st September

I spent the morning walking around the Wishaw area starting at Blind Pit Lane where the first bird of note I saw were three Grey Partridge which I put up from the edge of a stubble field.

With most of the fields having being harvested I though there might be a few birds around, there were certainly plenty of hirundines which in turn led to a Hobby early on. There were small flocks of Linnet, Goldfinch and small numbers of Meadow Pipit and whilst it has been a couple of years since I have seen Corn Bunting in the area, I have been disappointed with the fact that Yellowhammer appear not to be present. I have covered this route a few times in 2019 and have yet to locate any singing birds.

Joy and I mulled over going to Cornwall for the Brown Booby but the bird has been very sporadic, and having so much on at the moment I couldn’t get a couple of days away. As it happened it proved a good move as the bird has not been seen.

I walked up around the church and down the the Cock Inn where the same or another Hobby passed overhead. I then headed down Wiggins Hill Road before cutting along the lane to cross the canal onto the Kingbury Road. I saw a few Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff plus another pair of Hobby, I was hoping for Wheatear but I could not find any.

No comments: