Wednesday 11 September 2019

Wednesday 11th September

I visited the Reservoir in the morning specifically to check out the stubble field for potential Whinchat as I need it for my Shustoke year list. On arrival seven Shoveler were flying round, for a change I thought I would check out the River Blythe, birding the fields towards Ladywalk. It was a bad move as the path was very overgrown, it took ten minutes of pulling out Himalayan Balsam and brambles before I could cover the 20 yards to freedom. I needn't have bothered there was very little apart from a Little Egret.

I made my way back around the Reservoir where I couldn't locate the Ringed Plover, whilst at the east end there were two Common Sandpiper, also absent were the two Wigeon.

On arrival at the stubble field I walked into the middle, then made my way along adjacent to the road, there was no sign of yesterdays Wheatear but in the distance I saw the flock of c.120 Linnet flying round.

I though I might as well check them in case they might have dragged something good in with them.  I did see a bird perched on stubble but it was too far away to have an idea what it was. I made my way closer when the flock took to the air in panic and I was astonished to see a female Merlin making its way at speed through the scattering Linnets. It appeared to have been unsuccessful but nonetheless passed quite close giving great if brief views before it carried on over the Reservoir, I lost sight of it as it made its way westward. In 20 years I think its my 4th record and a fitting bird to be my 110th for the year!

In the afternoon I visited Wishaw again, but it was far too windy, a few each of Meadow Pipit and Skylark was the best I could manage. I did though connect with a Hobby that I disturbed from an Oak tree as it was enjoying lunch, it flew off with what looked like a Swallow hanging from it talons.

No comments: