Thursday 1 September 2011

Thursday 1st September

With September here I decided to get around early this morning, I was on site before 7am but I still wasn’t the first. Things have settled down of late but the LRP was still there and there were a lot of finches along the fields on the southern boundary which have all been harvested recently. Hirundine numbers have dropped off significantly over the last couple of days but there are still a few warblers around with Whitethroat, Blackcap and Chiffchaff still relatively common.

The best birds of the day was a Yellow Wagtail in the vicinity of the sailing club and a Raven in the fields at the South-east corner, I have heard and seen Ravens a few times recently from my garden so they are probably ranging over this area regularly now.

Chris Doyle had a Spotted Flycatcher near the sailing club yesterday.

NOTE
The female Hen Harrier on Sunday was a new record for Shustoke Reservoir and takes the total to 187 as far as I am aware, although the existing total was already 188? I don’t count sub-species i.e. White Wagtail etc. I will have to look into this and come back. I wish I hadn’t bothered I just seemed to have confused myself!

If you view the Blog I would appreciate if you would sign up – as I only have 14 members which is just about enough for a Rugby Team!


No comments: