Tuesday 27 September 2011

Tuesday 27th September

It was such a pleasant day we decided to take our lunch break and walk around the Reservoir. There was little in the way of birds around although there was a small passage of Swallow all heading south and another sign of autumn, a small group of six Meadow Pipit passing over.

There were two Raven between the two pools that were very vocal probably due to the fact there were Buzzards up soaring everywhere I looked.

I went back over this evening but it was still quiet and I saw nothing much else.

Had an email from Steve Cawthray who had a Tawny Owl calling by the Bat Box (I wonder wether Adam West has a bird feeder there!) and the first of the year – a Little Owl on Bixhill Lane that is the first reported for two years! So, guess where I will be tonight!

The Little Owl brings the number of species recorded to-date this year to 131 which is equal with last year which was the best ever. I can say with certainty that we will beat last years total as there is still no record of Snipe or Woodcock yet! And, probably more importantly there are still three months of the year left.

No comments: